ChucK compilation error (still, again?) -- similar to the Ubuntu GCC 4.3 problem
Andrew C. Smith
2009-09-13 14:14:51 UTC
Hey all,

So, I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (anyone else? I feel like the
list's guinea pig here) and now I'm getting awful compilation errors.
"gcc" gives me 4.2.1, as does g++, so it's not the exact same as the
4.3 problem from the forum.

Before, I could download the CVS and compile straight-through, but now
I get this:

$ make osx
make -f makefile.osx
gcc -D__MACOSX_CORE__ -c -O3 rtmidi.cpp
rtmidi.cpp: In function ‘int get_device_name(SInt32, char*, int)’:
rtmidi.cpp:295: error: cannot convert ‘void**’ to ‘MIDIObjectRef*’ for
argument ‘2’ to ‘OSStatus MIDIObjectFindByUniqueID(MIDIUniqueID,
MIDIObjectRef*, MIDIObjectType*)’
rtmidi.cpp:304: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘MIDIDeviceRef’ loses precision
rtmidi.cpp:306: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘MIDIEntityRef’ loses precision
rtmidi.cpp:312: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘MIDIEndpointRef’ loses precision
rtmidi.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void RtMidiIn::openPort(unsigned int)’:
rtmidi.cpp:521: warning: NULL used in arithmetic
rtmidi.cpp: In member function ‘virtual void RtMidiOut::openPort(unsigned int)’:
rtmidi.cpp:692: warning: NULL used in arithmetic
make[1]: *** [rtmidi.o] Error 1
make: [osx] Error 2 (ignored)

I have XCode 3.2, which came with gcc 4.2.1. The only reason I've
started with the compilation thing lately is because I wanted to check
out UGens and things--purely exploratory. I have a fully-compiled
version of the mini around, so I can still ChucK, but this is
definitely bothering me. Any ideas?

Andrew
Roger Critchlow
2009-09-13 17:03:37 UTC
Losing precision casting from a void * to a typedef'ed reference type
suggests that you're compiling for a 64-bit pointer. A quick google
finds:

"Snow Leopard supports 64-bit computing more pervasively than any
other Apple OS to ..."

Maybe you need to specify a 32-bit compile explicitly?

-- rec --
Andrew C. Smith
2009-09-13 17:09:00 UTC
Yeah, that was advertised as the big 10.6 changeover, so I probably
should have thought about it.

How do I specify the 32-bit compile?

Aside: Isn't Ubuntu 64-bit as well? I know very little about Linux,
aside from that we share a command line.

Thanks, Roger.

Andrew
Mark Knecht
2009-09-13 18:17:31 UTC
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM, Andrew C. Smith
<***@willamette.edu> wrote:
<SNIP>
Post by Andrew C. Smith
Aside: Isn't Ubuntu 64-bit as well? I know very little about Linux,
aside from that we share a command line.
Thanks, Roger.
Andrew
<SNIP>

Not specifically. Linux becomes 64-bit when compiled for 64-bit, run
on a 64-bit machine, and the machine has all the 64-bit versions of
libraries and everything else installed. Even then you can run 32-bit
applications if you have the 32-bit emulation libraries installed.
That's how I run ChucK on my Gentoo 64-bit machine as ChucK won't
compile correctly on 64-bit. (Or wouldn't the last time I tried.
Anyone working on that?)

All the distributions I know of support 64-bit versions.

HTH,
Mark
Roger Critchlow
2009-09-13 20:57:26 UTC
I'm running a 64-bit release of Ubuntu, but using the chuck taken from
the 32-bit distribution.

As someone else said, use --arch i386 as an option to gcc, but make
sure you use it everywhere that gcc gets called. There are typically
two places in the Makefile: one that compiles the sources to objects,
and one that links the objects with libraries into the final
executable.

-- rec --

Andrew C. Smith
2009-09-13 21:27:00 UTC
Well, long battle, but I feel like it's been worth it. I got chuck to
compile using this method on Snow Leopard:

1. Add -arch i386 to the line "FLAGS=-D__MACOSX_CORE__ -c" (so that it
shows up in every call of the file, whether it's gcc or g++)

2. Add -arch i386 to the initial call of chuck:

chuck: $(OBJS)
$(CXX_LINK) -arch i386 -o chuck $(OBJS) $(LIBS)

I made sure that the new one was working by doing the chmod 755 and
chucking a file with a ugen I added (from the wiki tutorial).
Hopefully, if I make one UGen this will all be worthwhile.

Andrew
Hans Aberg
2009-09-13 21:56:45 UTC
Those are already there:
$ grep -r "arch" *
src/makefile.osx-ub:FLAGS=-D__MACOSX_CORE__ -D__MACOSX_UB__ -c -
arch ppc -arch i386 \
src/makefile.osx-ub: -arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.4u.sdk

However, this page says one has to add the 64-bit flags if one wants
to compile for that:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/64bitPorting/building/building.html

If you want to migrate to 64-bit, here is more info:
http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Conceptual/64bitPorting/intro/intro.html

Hans
Andrew
Andrew C. Smith
2009-09-13 22:37:35 UTC
Oh, right. I just did osx, not osx-ub, so I had to add those -arch
i386 tags myself.

It sounds like if I (or we) wanted to migrate ChucK to 64-bit systems,
then it would take some use of the -Wconversion tag and then fixing
every error that the tag finds (in terms of float truncation). But
since I don't really know the technical details, and can't even really
call myself a programmers, I'm just going to go with this
hacked-together 32-bit fix. Thanks for the pointers (ha!) though.

Andrew
Hans Aberg
2009-09-13 22:52:59 UTC
Possibly, if you compile it without flag, it might generate code for
you platform only, which is 64-bit. So you must set them.

I looked back and saw that you wanted to do an Xcode project. If there
is nothing special demanded from the 'make' file, just make a new
project and drop the project files and required frameworks (listed the
gcc -framework option) into it. One can use a 'make' file, too, but I
haven't tried it. If you want to do interactive debugging, this is the
way to go.

Hans
Andrew
joerg piringer
2009-09-13 17:10:55 UTC
try the to add the arch option to gcc:
-arch i386
that should compile it in 32-bit

best
joerg
Andrew C. Smith
2009-09-13 17:39:34 UTC
Thanks, joerg. Also, huge fan of the karottenflöte. Surprised that
you managed to pick up vegetableorchestra.com before someone else
snapped it up.

So, now I'm getting other errors, this time with "ld" rather than gcc. I get:

ld: warning: in util_sndfile.o, file is not of required architecture

repeated for every single *.o file, then (get ready to scroll...)

Undefined symbols:
"KBHitManager::shutdown()", referenced from:
_all_detach in chuck_globals.o
"XMutex::~XMutex()", referenced from:
___tcf_0 in chuck_errmsg.o
Chuck_Event::~Chuck_Event()in chuck_instr.o
Chuck_Event::~Chuck_Event()in chuck_instr.o
Chuck_Event::~Chuck_Event()in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::~Chuck_Event()in chuck_oo.o
HidIn::~HidIn()in hidio_sdl.o
HidIn::~HidIn()in hidio_sdl.o
HidIn::~HidIn()in hidio_sdl.o
Chuck_Event::~Chuck_Event()in hidio_sdl.o
Chuck_Event::~Chuck_Event()in hidio_sdl.o
MidiIn::~MidiIn()in midiio_rtmidi.o
MidiIn::~MidiIn()in midiio_rtmidi.o
MidiIn::~MidiIn()in midiio_rtmidi.o
Chuck_Event::~Chuck_Event()in midiio_rtmidi.o
Chuck_Event::~Chuck_Event()in midiio_rtmidi.o
"_CK_HID_JOYSTICK_AXIS", referenced from:
_HidMsg_is_axis_motion in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"Joystick_close(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"WiiRemote_close(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_machine_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"_CK_HID_ACCELEROMETER", referenced from:
_HidIn_read_tilt_sensor in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"_ck_tcp_create", referenced from:
_main in chuck_main.o
otf_send_connect(char const*, int)in chuck_otf.o
"_libstd_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"Keyboard_quit()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"XMutex::release()", referenced from:
_EM_log in chuck_errmsg.o
Chuck_Event::queue_broadcast() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::queue_broadcast() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::signal() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::signal() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::broadcast() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::broadcast() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::wait(Chuck_VM_Shred*, Chuck_VM*) in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::remove(Chuck_VM_Shred*) in chuck_oo.o
"_CK_HID_DEV_JOYSTICK", referenced from:
_HidIn_open_joystick in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Joystick_quit()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Mouse_quit()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"WiiRemote_name(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Keyboard_init()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"toupper(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:
_string_upper in chuck_lang.o
"_ck_listen", referenced from:
_main in chuck_main.o
"_stereo_ctor", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::initialize_synthesis() in chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::initialize_synthesis() in chuck_vm.o
"_CK_HID_DEVICE_CONNECTED", referenced from:
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"CBufferSimple::cleanup()", referenced from:
HidInManager::cleanup() in hidio_sdl.o
"Mouse_close(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Joystick_init()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Mouse_init()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"CBufferSimple::put(void*, unsigned long)", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::queue_event(Chuck_Event*, int) in chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::queue_msg(Chuck_Msg*, int) in chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::process_msg(Chuck_Msg*) in chuck_vm.o
"_osc_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"CBufferSimple::get(void*, unsigned long)", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::get_reply() in chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::compute() in chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::compute() in chuck_vm.o
"TiltSensor_count()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"CBufferSimple::initialize(unsigned long, unsigned long)", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::initialize(unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned
long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long,
unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long)in
chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::initialize(unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned
long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long,
unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long)in
chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::initialize(unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned
long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long,
unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long)in
chuck_vm.o
HidInManager::init() in hidio_sdl.o
"_CK_HID_DEV_TILTSENSOR", referenced from:
_HidIn_open_tiltsensor in chuck_lang.o
_HidIn_read_tilt_sensor in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"ltrim(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:
_string_ltrim in chuck_lang.o
"CBufferSimple::CBufferSimple()", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::initialize(unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned
long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long,
unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long)in
chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::initialize(unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned
long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long,
unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long)in
chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::initialize(unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned
long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long,
unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long, unsigned long)in
chuck_vm.o
HidInManager::init() in hidio_sdl.o
"TiltSensor_quit()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"itoa(long)", referenced from:
Chuck_Instr_Add_int_string_Assign::execute(Chuck_VM*,
Chuck_VM_Shred*) in chuck_instr.o
Chuck_Instr_Add_int_string::execute(Chuck_VM*, Chuck_VM_Shred*)
in chuck_instr.o
Chuck_Instr_Add_string_int::execute(Chuck_VM*, Chuck_VM_Shred*)
in chuck_instr.o
type_engine_scan2_func_def(Chuck_Env*, a_Func_Def_*) in chuck_scan.o
"_stk_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"rtrim(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:
_string_rtrim in chuck_lang.o
"CBufferSimple::~CBufferSimple()", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::shutdown() in chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::shutdown() in chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::shutdown() in chuck_vm.o
HidInManager::cleanup() in hidio_sdl.o
"TiltSensor_setPollRate(long)", referenced from:
_HidIn_ctrl_tiltPollRate in chuck_lang.o
"TiltSensor_init()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Hid_poll()", referenced from:
HidInManager::cb_hid_input(void*) in hidio_sdl.o
"Keyboard_count()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_CK_HID_BUTTON_UP", referenced from:
_HidMsg_is_button_up in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"CBufferAdvance::put(void*, unsigned long)", referenced from:
HidInManager::push_message(HidMsg&) in hidio_sdl.o
_push_message in hidio_sdl.o
MidiInManager::cb_midi_input(double, std::vector<unsigned char,
std::allocator<unsigned char> >*, void*)in midiio_rtmidi.o
"RtMidiOut::RtMidiOut()", referenced from:
MidiOutManager::open(MidiOut*, long) in midiio_rtmidi.o
probeMidiOut() in midiio_rtmidi.o
MidiOut::MidiOut()in midiio_rtmidi.o
"_ck_close", referenced from:
_main in chuck_main.o
otf_send_connect(char const*, int)in chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
"io_addhistory(char const*)", referenced from:
Chuck_Console::next_command(std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&,
std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>
&)in chuck_console.o
"_CK_HID_BUTTON_DOWN", referenced from:
_HidMsg_is_button_down in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"extract_args(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >&,
std::vector<std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> >, std::allocator<std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > > >&)", referenced
from:
_main in chuck_main.o
otf_send_file(char const*, Net_Msg&, char const*, ck_socket_*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_process_msg(Chuck_VM*, Chuck_Compiler*, Net_Msg*, unsigned
long, void*)in chuck_otf.o
"_xform_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"WiiRemote_send(int, HidMsg const*)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"CBufferAdvance::empty(unsigned long)", referenced from:
HidIn::empty() in hidio_sdl.o
MidiIn::empty() in midiio_rtmidi.o
"TiltSensor_getPollRate()", referenced from:
_HidIn_cget_tiltPollRate in chuck_lang.o
"Keyboard_name(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Joystick_name(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Joystick_count()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Mouse_name(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"WiiRemote_count()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_ck_send_timeout", referenced from:
otf_send_connect(char const*, int)in chuck_otf.o
"_multi_ctor", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::initialize_synthesis() in chuck_vm.o
Chuck_VM::initialize_synthesis() in chuck_vm.o
"_filter_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"_ck_recv_timeout", referenced from:
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
"CBufferAdvance::join(Chuck_Event*)", referenced from:
HidInManager::open(HidIn*, long, long)in hidio_sdl.o
MidiInManager::open(MidiIn*, long) in midiio_rtmidi.o
"Hid_quit()", referenced from:
HidInManager::cleanup() in hidio_sdl.o
"Joystick_count_elements(int, int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_CK_HID_DEV_COUNT", referenced from:
PhyHidDevIn::name() in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
PhyHidDevIn::close() in hidio_sdl.o
PhyHidDevIn::open(long, unsigned long)in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::cleanup() in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::init() in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::probeHidIn() in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::open(HidIn*, long, long)in hidio_sdl.o
"WiiRemote_open(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"CBufferAdvance::CBufferAdvance()", referenced from:
PhyHidDevIn::open(long, unsigned long)in hidio_sdl.o
MidiInManager::open(MidiIn*, long) in midiio_rtmidi.o
"TiltSensor_name(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_ck_connect", referenced from:
otf_send_connect(char const*, int)in chuck_otf.o
"_CK_HID_DEV_MOUSE", referenced from:
_HidIn_open_mouse in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_CK_HID_MOUSE_WHEEL", referenced from:
_HidMsg_is_wheel_motion in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"CBufferAdvance::~CBufferAdvance()", referenced from:
PhyHidDevIn::close() in hidio_sdl.o
MidiInManager::open(MidiIn*, long) in midiio_rtmidi.o
MidiInManager::open(MidiIn*, long) in midiio_rtmidi.o
"Hid_init()", referenced from:
HidInManager::cb_hid_input(void*) in hidio_sdl.o
"_ensurepow2", referenced from:
_main in chuck_main.o
"_libmath_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"TiltSensor_read(int, int, int, HidMsg*)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Keyboard_send(int, HidMsg const*)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_CK_HID_DEV_KEYBOARD", referenced from:
_HidIn_open_keyboard in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_CK_HID_JOYSTICK_HAT", referenced from:
_HidMsg_is_hat_motion in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"_ck_accept", referenced from:
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
"RtMidiIn::setCallback(void (*)(double, std::vector<unsigned char,
std::allocator<unsigned char> >*, void*), void*)", referenced from:
MidiInManager::open(MidiIn*, long) in midiio_rtmidi.o
"Mouse_count()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_ck_bind", referenced from:
_main in chuck_main.o
"_CK_HID_DEV_TABLET", referenced from:
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"_extract_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"_xxx_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"_CK_HID_FORCE_FEEDBACK", referenced from:
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"RtMidiIn::RtMidiIn()", referenced from:
MidiInManager::open(MidiIn*, long) in midiio_rtmidi.o
probeMidiIn() in midiio_rtmidi.o
"CBufferAdvance::get(void*, unsigned long, unsigned long)", referenced from:
HidIn::recv(HidMsg*) in hidio_sdl.o
MidiIn::recv(MidiMsg*) in midiio_rtmidi.o
"_CK_HID_DEV_WIIREMOTE", referenced from:
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Mouse_count_elements(int, int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"io_readline(char const*)", referenced from:
Chuck_Console::next_command(std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&,
std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>
&)in chuck_console.o
"_CK_HID_DEV_NONE", referenced from:
PhyHidDevIn::PhyHidDevIn()in hidio_sdl.o
PhyHidDevIn::name() in hidio_sdl.o
PhyHidDevIn::close() in hidio_sdl.o
PhyHidDevIn::open(long, unsigned long)in hidio_sdl.o
PhyHidDevIn::PhyHidDevIn()in hidio_sdl.o
PhyHidDevIn::~PhyHidDevIn()in hidio_sdl.o
PhyHidDevIn::~PhyHidDevIn()in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::cleanup() in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::open(HidIn*, long, long)in hidio_sdl.o
"tolower(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:
_string_lower in chuck_lang.o
"_g_t_adc", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::initialize_synthesis() in chuck_vm.o
type_engine_check_exp_primary(Chuck_Env*, a_Exp_Primary_*)
in chuck_type.o
"_g_t_dac", referenced from:
Chuck_VM::initialize_synthesis() in chuck_vm.o
type_engine_check_exp_primary(Chuck_Env*, a_Exp_Primary_*)
in chuck_type.o
"Mouse_start_cursor_track()", referenced from:
_HidIn_start_cursor_track in chuck_lang.o
"XMutex::acquire()", referenced from:
_EM_log in chuck_errmsg.o
Chuck_Event::queue_broadcast() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::signal() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::broadcast() in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::wait(Chuck_VM_Shred*, Chuck_VM*) in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::remove(Chuck_VM_Shred*) in chuck_oo.o
"_opensoundcontrol_query", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"Keyboard_open(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"TiltSensor_close(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_CK_HID_LED", referenced from:
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"Keyboard_count_elements(int, int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Joystick_open(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"Mouse_open(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"RtMidiOut::sendMessage(std::vector<unsigned char,
std::allocator<unsigned char> >*)", referenced from:
MidiOut::send(MidiMsg const*)in midiio_rtmidi.o
MidiOut::send(unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)in
midiio_rtmidi.o
"_CK_HID_MOUSE_MOTION", referenced from:
_HidMsg_is_mouse_motion in chuck_lang.o
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"machine_init(Chuck_Compiler*, unsigned long (*)(Chuck_VM*,
Chuck_Compiler*, Net_Msg*, unsigned long, void*))", referenced from:
load_internal_modules(Chuck_Compiler*) in chuck_compile.o
"Mouse_stop_cursor_track()", referenced from:
_HidIn_stop_cursor_track in chuck_lang.o
"XThread::XThread()", referenced from:
Chuck_IO_File::Chuck_IO_File()in chuck_oo.o
_fileio_writeint in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writefloat in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writestring in chuck_lang.o
Digitalio::watchdog_start() in digiio_rtaudio.o
Digitalio::cb2(char*, int, void*)in digiio_rtaudio.o
HidInManager::init() in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::open(HidIn*, long, long)in hidio_sdl.o
"WiiRemote_quit()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"XThread::~XThread()", referenced from:
Chuck_IO_File::~Chuck_IO_File()in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_IO_File::~Chuck_IO_File()in chuck_oo.o
_fileio_writeint in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writefloat in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writestring in chuck_lang.o
Digitalio::watchdog_stop() in digiio_rtaudio.o
Digitalio::shutdown() in digiio_rtaudio.o
HidInManager::cleanup() in hidio_sdl.o
"Keyboard_close(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_ck_recv", referenced from:
recv_file(Net_Msg const&, ck_socket_*)in chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
"ftoa(double, unsigned long)", referenced from:
Chuck_Instr_Add_float_string_Assign::execute(Chuck_VM*,
Chuck_VM_Shred*) in chuck_instr.o
Chuck_Instr_Add_float_string::execute(Chuck_VM*,
Chuck_VM_Shred*) in chuck_instr.o
Chuck_Instr_Add_string_float::execute(Chuck_VM*,
Chuck_VM_Shred*) in chuck_instr.o
"trim(std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>,
std::allocator<char> > const&)", referenced from:
_string_trim in chuck_lang.o
"WiiRemote_init()", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"TiltSensor_open(int)", referenced from:
HidInManager::init_default_drivers() in hidio_sdl.o
"_CK_HID_DEVICE_DISCONNECTED", referenced from:
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"_ck_send", referenced from:
otf_send_file(char const*, Net_Msg&, char const*, ck_socket_*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_send_file(char const*, Net_Msg&, char const*, ck_socket_*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_send_cmd(int, char const**, long&, char const*, int, int*)in
chuck_otf.o
otf_cb(void*)in chuck_otf.o
"stk_detach(unsigned long, void*)", referenced from:
_all_detach in chuck_globals.o
"_CK_HID_JOYSTICK_BALL", referenced from:
init_class_HID(Chuck_Env*) in chuck_lang.o
"CBufferAdvance::initialize(unsigned long, unsigned long)", referenced from:
PhyHidDevIn::open(long, unsigned long)in hidio_sdl.o
MidiInManager::open(MidiIn*, long) in midiio_rtmidi.o
"XThread::start(void* (*)(void*), void*)", referenced from:
_fileio_writeint in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writeint in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writefloat in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writefloat in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writestring in chuck_lang.o
_fileio_writestring in chuck_lang.o
Digitalio::watchdog_start() in digiio_rtaudio.o
Digitalio::cb2(char*, int, void*)in digiio_rtaudio.o
HidInManager::init() in hidio_sdl.o
HidInManager::open(HidIn*, long, long)in hidio_sdl.o
"XMutex::XMutex()", referenced from:
__static_initialization_and_destruction_0(int, int)in chuck_errmsg.o
Chuck_Event::Chuck_Event()in chuck_instr.o
Chuck_IO_File::Chuck_IO_File()in chuck_oo.o
Chuck_Event::Chuck_Event()in hidio_sdl.o
Chuck_Event::Chuck_Event()in midiio_rtmidi.o
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [chuck] Error 1

So, yeah. Same thing happens when I compile 1.2.1.2 instead of the CVS
that I've been working with. I hate to give it up, but if anyone who
really knows more about the architecture and error messages in ChucK
has Snow Leopard, I suggest giving it a shot. Thanks everyone,

Andrew
joerg piringer
2009-09-13 17:43:50 UTC
use the -arch i386 option again for ld as well.
now that you mention it:
vegetableorchestra.com is taken by some domain reseller-spammer-whatever.
it's .org we took.

best
joerg
Andrew C. Smith
2009-09-13 17:55:16 UTC
Yeah, I tried, but a cmd+f on ld doesn't find anything (lowercase LD,
right?). I'm editing the makefile.osx, which is what I've been using
to make it.

Unfortunate on the spammer. If you click the "buy now" link for the
reseller site, it categorizes vegetableorchestra.com under "games." I
think "art" would be more descriptive.

Andrew
Post by Roger Critchlow
Losing precision casting from a void * to a typedef'ed reference type
suggests that you're compiling for a 64-bit pointer.  A quick google
 "Snow Leopard supports 64-bit computing more pervasively than any
other Apple OS to ..."
Maybe you need to specify a 32-bit compile explicitly?
-- rec --
Hans Aberg
2009-09-13 18:29:36 UTC
Post by Andrew C. Smith
So, I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (anyone else? I feel like the
list's guinea pig here) and now I'm getting awful compilation errors.
"gcc" gives me 4.2.1, as does g++, so it's not the exact same as the
4.3 problem from the forum.
Before, I could download the CVS and compile straight-through, but now
$ make osx
make -f makefile.osx
gcc -D__MACOSX_CORE__ -c -O3 rtmidi.cpp
rtmidi.cpp:295: error: cannot convert ‘void**’ to ‘MIDIObjectRef*’ for
argument ‘2’ to ‘OSStatus MIDIObjectFindByUniqueID(MIDIUniqueID,
MIDIObjectRef*, MIDIObjectType*)’
rtmidi.cpp:304: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘MIDIDeviceRef’ loses precision
rtmidi.cpp:306: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘MIDIEntityRef’ loses precision
rtmidi.cpp:312: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘MIDIEndpointRef’ loses precision
These are typedef'ed to MIDIObjectRef, which in turn, is typedef'ed to
UInt32, in
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreMIDI.framework/Headers/MIDIServices.h

Since 10.6 is 64-bit, a pointer cannot be held in a 32-bit integral
type.

So this must be changed.

Happy code tweaking!

Hans